Friday, April 1, 2005

Mr.Potato Project. Background I

I´m not a microcontroller user newbie. I started with PICs 6 years ago. But I only have my spare time to play with them. This means that I make some stuff during a month, and two months later something comes to my mind that can be done using a microcontroller and then is when I face the big trouble: it usually takes me a whole week to remember all things about PIC assembler, registers, how programmer works and bla bla bla. That´s why I started to look into those solutions like BasicStamp that gives you all the infrastructure that you need to play with electronics without requiring to be a mega master.

What are the advantages of that? Well, you get lots of documentation, a full development environment and a high level language to program your microcontroller. What´s the drawback? , the microcontroller gets to expensive. You can buy a PIC 16F876 for 6€ or less, a BasaicStamp cost you 60€. Too much for me. So I continued searching and I found the BasicX-24 something more powerful than the BasicStamp and a bit cheaper, 50€. The BasicX is still too expensive for me although it comes with floating point unit and a great development board, but it´s too much money for something that I can break messing with the polarity.


When I thought everything was lost I came across the PICAXE. This guys give me what I need: Cheap PICs preprogrammed (it´s almost the prices of a raw PIC), a simple development environment, and Basic language to program the PIC. The language have high level instructions like servo, pause, etc... And they offer an extremely cheap servo controller board, AXE024.

No comments:

Post a Comment